Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Week 2 Results: Taking Care of Business (Moguls)

Well, another week of "DWTS" has come and gone. Once again, the elimination was pretty spot-on, and I didn't mind one bit. In fact, I actually welcomed it. Why, do you ask? Read on and find out. Plus hear about all the crazy results-show randomness that went on, as well. Three, two one...RECAP! :)

  • The Elimination: It was Kathy, in the ballroom, with the frilly pink dress. Ms. Ireland never got the hang of dancing, and I definitely never got the hang of her stiff personality. She was nice...but it was a stilted, measured kind of nice. The kind that puts you to sleep. Very, very slowly. So, as you can see, I'm not sad to see her go. The dance floor will be more interesting without her. That said, she tried, and she had fun. Good for her. Now she can get back to her kids (cue sincere "awww"), and take care of her billion-dollar domestic retail empire. Side note: Ms. Kmart (last time I'll call her that) earned family-friendly points (with me, at least) by editing the meaning of "katony" as "bad donkey couple," rather than...oh, just think of the Bible. And what they call donkeys there. (I didn't even realize it until about thirty seconds later...which tells you how fast my reaction time is...and also made it a bit more funny. Yay for being clean!)
  • The Music (since I watched the whole show this time, I'm going to split "The Other Stuff" category to make this more organized-ish): Joss Stone just may be the best live performer on "DWTS" in a long time. Her voice was pitch-perfect (a rarity in "DWTS" singing territory) and delicious. Her backup singers were feisty. Her wardrobe was classy (though I could have used some sleeves and whatnot). And she even threw in a little light dancing (future contestant?!?). The producers were wise to give her two songs, rather than to the underwhelming but passable Selena Gomez, another Disney darling trying to make her way in the music scene. Gomez was OK at singing...and it's to be applauded that she's going the slightly-alternative route...but still, I can't imagine her getting too far with such by-the-numbers talents, and a cookie-cutter band. Sorry, Selena. I didn't feel the magic. (Yeah, ANOTHER person I can make lame magic puns with!)
  • The Rest: I kind of liked the revelation format they used tonight--grouping couples by their score, since there were 2-4 at every level. It was a good way to deal with the mammoth cast (I still can't believe there's still THIRTEEN people...) The bad thing...Debi landing in the Bottom 2. While I wouldn't die if she got booted...well, I wouldn't die if anyone got booted, come to think of it...anyways, what I'm saying is that she's somewhat expendable, I'd like her to stay around for a bit. She's engaging, fun, and she needs to teach Maks a lesson or two. (Maybe these 7 or so seasons have been getting to him.) So America, keep the Mazar in! Aaron and Joanna, you can kick out till the cows come home. Other random comments: We get to vote for a former star to be in the "Design-a-Dance"! Except HOW am I supposed to choose between Shawn, Kristi, and MEL B?!?!? This is a decision that will most certainly divide my soul. (Or something like that.) And backstage in the middle of the show, how did Samantha not bring up something about Donny saying "you can't breathe" with all the tension during elimination night, with Natalie, she who holds her breath chronically, right next to her? (After all, she did go for the "Shall we dance?" pun last night with Kathy.) It would have totally worked! Maybe she thought that since Natalie never breathes anyway, the nervousness of the results show wouldn't make a difference. Who knows? The segment about the new dance training center was snazzy. Do they really help/spy on each other? If so, I eagerly await the spin-off show chronicling the lives of the contestants while training. It could be like a fun, not disgusting "Big Brother"!
Before I end this recap, I bid a fond farewell...oops, that sounds like he's dying...OK, a hearty wave goodbye to our excellent guest judge for the week, Baz Luhrmann. He held his own with the judges, giving excellent, specific critiques (a la Carrie Ann, Len, and...on a good day, Bruno...) and giving some generous scores to deserving contestants. I even liked him better than Michael Flatley a few seasons ago! After all, Baz had a much cooler accent. (Australian with a hint of...exotic-ness? Heck yes! :) ) Hopefully he'll be back again sometime. He pretty much rocked.

That's all for now! Come back next week for more delicious recap fun. And I should be getting up that dance-related playlist within the night or week. If there is anyone actually reading this, tell your friends, and be sure to follow! Cheese out! :)

No comments: