Friday, September 3, 2010

DWTS: Let's Meet The Cast of Season 11 (Part II)

"How Am I Supposed To Live Without You"! THAT's the song Michael Bolton is famous for. And I'm back! Let's cut right to the chase and talk about the other half of this season's cast of...Bailando con las Estrellas! (Si, I just went Spanglish on you. :) )

  • Kyle Massey & Lacey Schwimmer: Producers have done a much better job here of pairing a young pro with a young celebrity (I did the research, and according to Wikipedia, Kyle's 19, and dear old Lacey's 22)...but really? Kyle Massey? Kudos to the producers (again) for actually managing to keep his name under wraps (the former Mr. Cory Baxter was nowhere near any of the casting rumors that actually ended up being pretty accurate this season), but...I've never really liked Kyle since he started growing up on "That's So Raven." He's kind of stilted and annoying, and he's really starred in too many ghastly projects (Life Is Ruff, Cory In The House, that one or two 'songs' he 'sang') for me to change my mind. Oh well...at least he might be good at dancing, given the fact that he's not even reached his 20s. (He's only a year older than I am! Then again, so was Shawn Johnson during her season. Still...I feel like I'm growing up...) And also, he's paired with Lacey, who is fun and a fairly good teacher, from what I've seen in the past.
  • Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy (that name never fails to give me grief...): Yeah, that's probably the very last time I'm going to type Maks' full name...ever. You know who he is. Do the math. :) Anyways...Brandy's always been one of those stars who is...nice. Fairly talented. Pretty. But...kind of boring and not terribly popular. Still, I have fond memories of Ms. Norwood in the Wonderful World of Disney version of "Cinderella" back in '97 (speaking of that, I should get it on DVD...), and remember Mya? She fit kind of the same bill...nice, fairly talented, and attractive, but also a bit low-key at first...and ended up being absolutely terrific. So I have fairly high hopes for Brandy. But if she ends up being disappointing as a dancer...meh. I'll survive. (She better bring her A-game, though, to be able to handle the fury of Maks.)
  • Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas: Bristol. Oh, Bristol...I don't know what to think of you. You seem charming and ready to get down to work. But also...all you're known for, pretty much, is being the spawn of a witc I mean, daughter of Sarah Palin. Well, that, and your painfully robotic acting debut on "The Secret Life of the American Teenager." (And when you can tell you're robotic on that show, you know you've got acting problems. It was even worse than me, and I consider myself the worst actor ever. :) ) Anyways...I still have ghastly memories of the last reality star known for little more than existing that "DWTS" brought to the table (cough cough, Kate Gosselin, let us never speak of her again, cough cough), who was so bad that even the Emmys made fun of her. Heck, Kate even made fun of herself. But...I'm staying optimistic about Bristol. The fact that she's proclaimed she's going to be aiming for modesty in her costuming is a plus. (Yes, I know DWTS is the last place you're going to find modesty. But every little bit of it helps, folks.) Despite my increasingly hostile feelings about her mother, I think if Bristol actually can dance, this might actually be fun. (Might.)
  • Audrina Patridge & Tony Dovolani: While I had heard Audrina's name bandied about a bit in the pop culture arena before they announced her as part of the cast, I have to admit...all I know is that she was on "The Hills." And did stuff. And seems to look slightly different every time I see her. Last season, we had to "Save Tony" from the evil clutches of the horrible partner I just mentioned in the previous section in a cough, and who we agreed never to speak of again. This season, I don't think that will be necessary. I doubt Audrina will be even half that obnoxious, and what's more, I don't think she'll last even half that long (poor Tony, the last time he got someone amazing was season 2). I can't see her having much of a fan base, and she seems unlikely to be any good at dancing. Still...DWTS has always been known for surprises. Gilles Marini was predicted by EW (somewhat offhandedly) to get last place his season. And you know how wrong that turned out to be...
  • Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino & Karina Smirnoff: Karina's fortunes have fallen incredibly far with the DWTS-viewing public, from what I've seen (I have yet to see a genuinely positive comment about the veteran pro in online comment boards this season), which is a strike against "The Situation" (do I have to use that nickname? I guess so...) from the start, but...he's athletic. He's probably going to showcase his ridiculous (I mean that a bit derisively) abs for at least the first one or two dances. And being from one of the trashiest shows on reality television (and that's no mean feat), "Jersey Shore," he probably doesn't really give a dang how stupid he might look on the dance floor. I'm not a "Jersey" viewer, and Mike (ha! dodged the nickname!) failed to appear for the cast announcement press conference, so my verdict's out on his on-screen persona until September 20 when the show premieres, but...I'm guessing he's probably not an absolutely horrible dancer. Goodness forbid a reality-TV star takes it all the way...
  • Kurt Warner & Anna Trebunskaya: Anna's a tough, but effective teacher (and I still find her rather fun to watch, though her hair choices have often been a bit psychotic in seasons past), and Kurt's an affable, well-liked, charming football star. (Who played last for the Cardinals, my home team. Heck yes!) Both of these factors practically guarantee him at least a month on the dance floor, if he's terrible at dancing. If he's good? You might as well write him a ticket to at least the top 5. He'd have to try hard not to make it that far.
And one more thing...Edyta's FINALLY gone! I've been an outspoken critic of Ms. Sliwinska for a while, mainly due to her going out of her way to dress in a ridiculously risque fashion (I'm pretty sure the clothes that any other pro female dancer wears in one show adds up to more fabric than Edyta has worn in her entire 10-season DWTS run...remember that outfit last season where she was basically naked? Ugh...), and the fact that her choreography usually tends to put the spotlight on her, rather than her partner. That all aside, Edyta's been a loyal part of DWTS for 10 long seasons, and I wish her all the best in whatever she moves on to. Farewell, Edyta! Try to wear more clothes at college, will you? As for the rest of you...I'm excited for Season 11 to start. Are you? Be sure to comment/discuss/what have you, and I'll see you in a few weeks for the premiere. (Those of you who are also "Idol" fans should see me much sooner, as I plan to continue my Top 12 project tomorrow. Or thereabouts.) For now...viva la DWTS!

No comments: