Saturday, June 12, 2010

Top 12 Profiles: Lacey Brown



Name: Lacey Brown
Hometown: Amarillo, TX
Age: 24
Place: 12th, eliminated during Rolling Stones Week
Best Semifinal Performance: Definitely "The Story" during Top 16 Week.
Best Finals Performance: It's a hard choice here...OK, obviously she only had one chance to sing during the finals, and that was her pleasant, string-quartet-a-licious take on the Stones' "Ruby Tuesday."



  • The Early Days: Lacey showed some great promise early on with her beautiful audition of "Over the Rainbow." It was twangy, soaring, and warm, and it showed off the kind of distinctive vocals that don't usually get very far on "Idol." It was kind of a cross between a jazzy tone and a folky one, if that makes any sense. She was a bit breathy and I wasn't completely on board with her phrasing choices, but when I first saw Lacey sing this song during the "Road To Hollywood" episode (AKA The Episode That Actually Had More Good Than Bad Auditions For Once :) ), I was very intrigued. Lacey only built on that potential & promise with a simply lovely take on "What A Wonderful World" during the Hollywood rounds. Way back when I made my post summarizing my takes on the Top 24 and what they had done so far, I wrote that it was "truly mesmerizing." When I watched it over again just now, that's pretty much the same impression I had. Pitch-perfect, unique, and heartfelt...just how it's supposed to be.
  • Top 24 Week ("Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac): Lacey Brown and "Landslide." By all accounts, it should have worked. Lacey's earthy instrument, in my mind, totally looked like a perfect fit for this Stevie Nicks-penned classic. But for whatever reason--nerves, monitor issues, etc.--Lacey just cracked. She was off-key, thin, and...it was disappointing, to say the least. Back then, for some reason, I still held a candle for Lacey. And she made it through to next week. Listening back on it now, it sounds about the same. Full of potential, but not quite there.
  • Top 20 Week ("Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer): Not much better than the week before. Flat and thin, but still brimming with potential. Lacey was wise to take Ellen's suggestion the week prior to cover this type of song...and admittedly, though it wasn't a perfect fit, it kind of worked (the fact that SNTR lead singer Leigh Nash and Lacey have a good deal of vocal similarity both helps and hurts). Still, Lacey would have been better off taking on something more stripped-down. And the next week, that's exactly what she did...
  • Top 16 Week ("The Story" by Brandi Carlile): Back then, I was kind of surprised Lacey dodged a bullet once again and made it through to the third week of the semifinals...her first two performances were underwhelming, and all the Internet comments I saw about her weren't even close to kind. Knowing that many talented girls were left, and with only 6 spots, there would have to be hard cuts (they ended up being MUCH harder than I wanted them to be...stupid America... :/ ), I was ready to give up on Lacey as a contestant. Well, she definitely made things much harder on me after this lilting, committed take on Brandi Carlile's gorgeous ballad, which I've loved for quite a while. It was exactly the kind of top-notch singing I'd been expecting from Lacey, except it felt like it came two weeks too late. Still, the fact that she made it into the Top 12 the next night helped to soften the blow that Katelyn and Lilly's elimination was on my "Idol"-loving heart. (I shall avenge them!!!)
  • Top 12 Night/Rolling Stones Week ("Ruby Tuesday"): Like I said in my Top 12 recap months ago, I'm a sucker for strings. So even if Lacey's mic had been off the whole song, I still probably would have called for her to move on to the next round. (Hey, there were 11 other people to go home. Well, sort of.) But really...the string quartet was a nice touch and a fairly radical rearrangement of the Stones' original, and it fit Lacey's voice very well. Lacey was a bit all over the place at points (hello, much larger stage...) and a bit flat too, but for the most part, she made some great phrasing choices, and it really went a long way (in my view) to define Lacey as an artist. The fact that America didn't see it that way...and sent Lacey swiftly packing in the process...was kind of a bummer. It was just the first chapter in a season-long, painful saga called "Idol Voters Not Giving ANY of The Women A Chance To Grow, Because They Think Tim Urban Is Hot and Lee Sounds Great, Ugh." Or something like that. :)
Do I think Lacey should have made it to the finals? Yes. Although I wouldn't have been as torn up about her not making it as I was about Katelyn & Lilly (VIVA LA KATELYN & LILLY! Though Lilly, you should stop swearing so much in the music you have on your MySpace page...), I think she deserved to go through.
Do I think she deserved the place she got? Nope. While her making it to the Top 3 or something would have been a stretch even in my eyes, she definitely deserved a few more weeks to grow, or at least so we could have a few more excellent iTunes recordings of hers.
Will I buy her CD, whenever it comes out? Sadly, the odds don't look good for Lacey getting one out anytime soon...Alexis Grace, who last season got 11th and was viewed much favorably than Lacey, still has yet to release even a single...but when that day hopefully comes, and as long as I'm not off on my mission, I'll be there. If life is good to us, Lacey has a bright future ahead of her.

No comments: